FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Front and backwards facing Business class seating
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:26 am
dougzz

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Apologies if this has already been addressed here. We recently flew LHR to IAD on BA 747 upper deck in front and backwards facing seats. I was a little worried upon booking but kept an open mind. Service was great, but if I have a choice, I will not book this configuration again. Traveling with my husband, he took the backward facing seat by the window with nice "niches" for storage. I was in the aisle seat. My only storage was overhead, no under seat in front to store items for takeoff and landing that I wanted access to during the flight. Lie flat bed was nice, but didn't feel as "private" from my across the aisle neighbor. It was awkward for the window seat person to step over the aisle person when seat was flat. Basically, I miss the big, business class seats that are 2, 2(or3), and 2 in business class as my husband and I always travel together across "the pond". Just curious why BA thinks the front facing/back facing configuration is a good idea.
All your points are valid and to be honest they've been flogged to death here previously. I like the backward facing seat. The reason for the layout is clearly seat density and consequently the number you can sell and make money from. Because of this forum I'm aware of the seats that are considered desirable, 62AK and 64AK on the upper deck, great storage and privacy once the divider is up, and direct access. The oft voiced criticism is that a business seat should all be good, and you shouldn't need specific cabin knowledge to get things like access to your seat without stepping over a sleeping passenger next to you. Definitely things I like about BA compared to say AA, but each is good in different ways.