FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:50 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mrow
That’s not correct, the BBC are right
Thanks for that quote, which is interesting for future reference. It's clearly an attempt to limit their financial exposure, but it also seems to me that they are mirroring BA's approach with this idea of "partner airlines" (I bet easyJet were surprised to read that!), like the JBA and oneworld relationships. Perhaps this is fair enough as a policy document, but it won't save FR from a strict reading of EC261 which make no such distinctions, it is fully biased in favour of the passengers and with no bias anywhere on keeping costs down for airlines.

I think this is a bigger issue that it looks: despite their reputation for "low fares" what always surprises me is how little the LCCs compete against each other. There aren't many routes where easyJet, Ryanair, Jet2 and Vueling compete head to head. LGW is a good example, there are just a few Ryanair flights to DUB, since this is seen as an easyJet stronghold. Therefore in many cases using legacy airlines such as BA is the only practical way forward.