FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:11 am
Snuggs

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I had some difficulty requesting my upgrade for YVR-HKG-YVR because Amex had used my first, middle and last name on my ticket but my Asia Miles account only has my first and last name on it. Calling Asia Miles was pointless since they left me on hold forever. Anyhow was finally able to request the upgrade online by nominating myself as a companion using my middle name.

What surprised me however was it was only 15K Asia miles each way, when I was expecting 20K. Thought I would share in case anyone else was considering that upgrade.
I had some of the same issues. I always use my middle initial. I booked w CX, and asked to be put on upgrade list. When the upgrades cleared, I transferred AMEX points to Asiamiles and upgrades were applied. Two weeks before the flt, CX pulls my upgrades. After hours with Asiamiles, they said they could only redeposit miles, charge me a $100pp fee, and re-issue. When I agreed, they then decided that this was not possible and they could not help fix "my mistake". 3 days later, CX called, said that they totally screwed up the record, and were making it all good. But my record now was sans my middle initial.

During my trip, I wanted to add in BKK. Using AA miles, I booked an award rt HKG-BKK, which was on the heels of my inbound MLE-HKG. That CX record had my middle initial. As I would be checking luggage straight on from MLE-HKG-BKK, I sweated it out. At check-in in MLE the agent laughed about CX's propensity to get the middle initial thing messed up. My flts went fine, and the baggage connected.

Unrelated, the HKG-MLE flight had mechanical issues resulting in a 6 hour delay, causing me to loose a $600 pre-paid night at a hotel. Have been unable to get CX to respond to my request for comp. Surprised to see my Saphire Reserve card excluded flt delay coverage for pre-paid hotel nights.

Last edited by Snuggs; Sep 29, 2017 at 9:17 am