FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mini RTW Questions
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:09 pm
Tifosi

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by JCYC5
Thanks! Haven't done that yet, was mostly trying to get the route planned before going into looking at the precise dates - felt like the right way to go!

The getting in and out of YEG was done for a bit of both reasons you identified - a IAD and LAX overnight seemed appealing for a quick visit, as was the ability to fly the Dreamliner. That added the necessary evil of going through DEN. Also, was of course trying to avoid the AC YQ that a TYO-YVR or YEG-YYZ/YUL would add

I suppose I hadn't considered the AC YQ vs. fees given a routing like this... any advice?!
I'm YEG-based as well so I feel your pain. I've always found that domestic AC segments don't add enough YQ to worry about. I have an upcoming mRTW with a stop in ZRH as well and I'm going YEG-YUL (AC)>YUL-ZRH (LX). The fees are minimal. It would mean giving up the 787 route, but it'll be a lot more pleasant than your YEG-DEN-IAD-CDG-ZRH routing.

YQ shouldn't be applied to flights where HKG is a stopover so, if it's available, you could do the HKG-YVR direct on AC.

TYO-YVR is also available on NH through HND on a 787, so there's more than just AC. NH does charge some YQ though, unless you change your HKG stop to TYO.

(This all assumes that you aren't committed to your overnights in IAD and LAX)