FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suspected Cellphone Bomb at Mangalore Airport [moderator's edit - no bomb found]
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:04 pm
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Section 107
To which home minister are you referring and what are they actually saying? In none of the 6 devices found was there any actual cell phone electronics nor any actual explosives. There was found in all a non-explosive clay-like substance and a power source; all used a cell phone case.

The headline is maybe exaggerated because it wasn't actual a bomb but certainly not ginned up or "fake" news. This was a part of a concerted, coordinated and continuing series of tests to get IEDs through passenger and baggage screening.

Also, these were not part of security service planned testing (i.e. "red team" testing) as were some publicized tests in Europe a few years ago.
Good answer! ^^

Every single picture I have seen in relation to this series of events is IED 101. So much so that if I had been running the x-ray, or found these during a bag check, I would probably have needed new clothes. I can't go so far as to say this was necessarily a coordinated, or planned event. Nor can I say it was just several people that decided to take a shot at it in short order, or if it is just a collection of loonies having fun.

This is a viable (and fairly easy to make) threat, not just to the flying public and TSA folks, but in other places. With the consistent engagement and social media assault by extremist groups (of all walks) constantly recruiting the disaffected members of societies - this is a reality for some folks. As a country, we have really been lucky in terms of terror attacks on our soil (speaking only in statistical terms, any terror attack is horrendous), especially with how easy it is to get into this country.