FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bali trip / possible volcano
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:45 pm
Saltire74
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by wickedkhalsa
thanks all, so I did call . Emirates agent discussed with supervisor and said nothing can be done till air space is open. Once airport/airspace closes, they will address it then.

And yes worst case is , I get there and it erupts, and I am grounded, no worries .. I will take it as it comes ..
If DPS is closed down due to eruption or continuing ash cloud, there is the option of getting to East Java by ferry and onward to SUB, MLG, YOG to get to CGK but ensure you speak to EK if the worse scenario happens so that a re-route sorted for you by them. There is always plenty of public transport going from DPS to East Java but the road trip can be tedious and will be overloaded with others having to find alternatives also but, the option should be there.

Reading a news article yesterday, my understanding of it is that the government may well use some other airfields in East Java that are either not normally used for commercial flights or increase capacity although may only be suitable for turbo-prop aircraft which a lot of the domestic carriers use and should be viable routes to get to CGK.

I'm flying to East Java in December and keeping a close eye on developments as dependent on prevailing winds, SUB could be affected by any ash clouds that develop. Hopefully all will be okay by then.

S