FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New hub in Poland (?) [CPK discussion]
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:53 pm
Fanjet
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Lack
Why don't you tell us how, if you're advocating for it?
Wasn't WizzAir originally flying out of Modlin, then switched over to Chopin? But why is it that Chopin is maxed out anyway? Passenger facilities? Because I don't see it. The airport handles around 12-13 million passengers per year. If you are talking about gate space during peak times, then yes, there is some truth behind that. But I've also been there several times (using BA/AF/KL) when many gates were sitting empty. And let's face it, it's not as though LOT is flying a bunch of 160+ seat aircraft out of there, and has maxed-out its capacity.

I really don't hear Varsovians talking about how crowded and cramped it is at WAW, like I do Berliners talk about TXL. So this new proposal seems like one giant, over-priced, vanity project. And aside from its conveience to the city center, the other main thing I love about WAW is how little in fees the airport adds onto the price of a ticket. Unlike FRA, or MUC, or CDG, or LHR, and so on. Do you really think that is still going to be the case when they have to recoup the costs of a $10 billion new airport?