FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New hub in Poland (?) [CPK discussion]
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:50 am
hugolover
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This further highlights what a huge clusterF EU transport spending is. Poland already has at least four "green field" airports as Oliver2002 puts it. One is Łódź! Radom (RDO), Rzeszów (RZE) and Lublin (LUZ), all heavily subsidised by the (Western) European taxpayer of which Poland is a huge net benefactor. I am sure Poland would be happy to see their taxes pay for the likes of Carlisle (CAX) to have a flight to SEN. They were so desperate to spend it or lose it that that money was catastrophically wasted when a far better case could have been made to expand WAW, as if this comes at a shock? It's absolutely perverse.

With Łódź (LCJ) so close to Warsaw it will become further redundant and as if we are meant to believe they didn't know that WAW would reach capacity and there was absolutely zero business case to pump precious cash into LCJ, its already a ghost airport as it is. Those three FR services (which are not even daily from LCJ) are costing a fortune- how much would the fares actually be if the pax paid the real cost to operate them? Do the landing fees even pay for the fire cover? And would it be another sweetheart deal like FR had with RZE for those lovely locker advertisements and the resounding success that foreign tourism to Podkarpacie has become...

It's wonderful that Ms May has reached V1 and the UK is heading out, so the Germans and the rest of the pals can pay for these projects because obviously Poland will cover every groszy. Of course, in the interest of balance I should point out that according to the Polish government 80 cents in every Euro goes back to the West anyway via Ferrovial, Skanska, Strabag, or any other foreign firms that will actually reap the benefits of this project. I'm sure it will be entirely Polish contracted .

With all that spare cash they desperately spent on LCJ, LUZ, RZE and RDO they should have just distributed it out so everyone can pay off their car leases, a bit like the Maltese did with the Tallinja .