FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tswalu Kalahari Reserve (South Africa) - An epic African safari
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:42 pm
KI-NRT

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Judging by what you were wearing, it looks absolutely freezing on those morning game drives! I always worry about these open-sided rooms and showers in such climates.

I take it that the lodge was completely full when you stayed? Was there much interaction with other guests?
It wasn't freezing (low of about 6C), but it was quite cold in the early morning and late evening, especially for Mrs. KI-NRT, who is the exact opposite of bhrubin (she finds 23C "chilly.") The rooms are closed and sealed (by solid stone/sand) on all sides, so we were protected from the elements. Every evening after dinner, we returned to our room to find the fireplace all set-up, and hot water bottles under the sheets. It was more than sufficient. The wind chill factor goes way up when riding in an open-air vehicle, but by around 8:30AM we started peeling off our outer layers.

Originally Posted by Ericka
What dates were you there? How warm did it get during the day? Did you consider the Malori sleepout deck? (I've inquired about it and they say there is a gas heater, but I'm concerned about the cold.) Were you able to get the rooms suitably warm at night?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later.
We stayed there in early July. The temperature ranged from 6C to about 22C. It was quite balmy in midday - the problem is, in a desert environment with clear skies (it's dry season), as soon as the sun goes down the warm air leaves with it. If going by past history (which is wildly unpredictable as of late!) August is usually a tad warmer than July.

We did not do the Malori sleepout due to concerns of the cold. We probably would've done one night out if not for the fact that we were expecting our next camp in Zambia's South Luangwa N.P. (Mchenja Bush Camp) to be far more "bushy," so while at Tswalu we availed ourselves to the creature comforts of our Legae