FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:26 am
danspartan

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
This is a bad glitch with this program that I and others have discussed upstream. The advice I got -- which seems to have worked -- was to generate a small charge, in my case by bringing in the tank $8 low or so. That triggered the Amex insurance charge.

This said, all this has made me (a) stop chasing "free" days; and (b) book rentals with Chase Ritz-Carlton Visa, which seems to have primary coverage for free.
This week wouldn't be a problem as its 1 day free out of 5.

What asking about is the opposite--when I pay for 100% of the trip, I'd generally be fine with my personal insurance as primary and my AMEX as secondary.--essentially I'm going to rent ~25 times/year.

Or is the $500-$600 with AMEX as primary worth the peace of mind? I assume that if I go over the AMEX primary limits, that my personal insurance would kick in?

(I've had exactly two incidents over about ~300 rentals over the years. This one and one in Italy that I thankfully did purchase the rental agency coverage since I learned that Italy was noted for being ineligible for normal carrier and credit card insurance).