FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official: Final United Boeing 747 Flight Was SFO-HNL on 7 Nov 2017 {SOLD OUT}
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:31 am
kale73
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually have no desire to be on this flight but am curious about several things.

How is the crew assigned to commemorative flights such as these? Is it part of the normal (sic) "bidding" process, or is it something that the airline bestows on long-term employees as some sort of boon. Since I presume the 747 flight crews, in particular, will need to re-train in order to operate other aircraft in the fleet, might this be a "retirement" flight for a senior United 747 captain as well?

Will there be special catering? Someone mentioned up above the possibility of "retro" catering circa 1970, perhaps even with a full meal service in Y. Based on some comments made upthread, I think Jelsert has a good shot at catering the beverages.

On my first trip to Hawai'i, we were greeted by young ladies in hula skirts who bestowed lei upon us as we left the aircraft. Will this old tradition be included as part of the send-off? I think there might even be time to paint the chosen aircraft with a lei wreath in the week between the last International flight and this commemorative one.