FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laucala, Fiji - trip report
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:39 am
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think some of the demands outlined here and elsewhere on this Forum - regarding climate control, menu choices etc - are quite unreasonable in places such as Fiji and Madagascar where the infrastructure is so fragile or non-existent. In a place like Hawaii or Barbados or Bali maybe these sort of demands are realistic.

I remember once staying at a place called Peponi, near Lamu in Kenya, which lacked air conditioning and many so-called luxuries, yet the hotel drew many luminaries and celebs because of its utter remoteness and tranquility. The owner explained to us in great detail how her entire day, entire week, entire life was spent dealing with suppliers and getting stuff in from Nairobi on a daily basis. It was a miracle, really. Yet the guests made allowances and understood the problems and just enjoyed the place for what it was. I think something similar happens at a place like Mnemba, that little beach shack off the coast of Zanzibar.

Now people demand 65 degrees in their room when the outside is 100 degrees heat and 90 percent humidity and people demand fresh foie gras or whatever. Frankly I don't care if the air-con breaks down or if the kitchen can't supply a ***Michelin dinner on a whim. Madagascar is not like Dubai.

There is a price factor, of course, but even a ludicrous $6000 a night can't really deliver on some of the expectations and demands. Common sense must tell you that.
I think the air conditioning is solved by getting a powerful system and having the power infrastructure (generator, solar, etc) to back it. A lot of places will skimp on this part. Right now, I'm at a modern hotel built in 2013 and owned by one of the leading Korean chaebols but even their system can't cool down the bedroom when the blinds are open and it's a sunny day. It was a big problem this summer. The truth of the matter is their system probably wasn't designed to go to Arctic 17 degrees Celsius that the panel shows and whatever unit they chose was probably judged to be adequate enough but not bhrubin enough. That Thai hotel that said their system would break below 23 degrees definitely didn't install a good enough system for that kind of environment.

If you want 3 figures or even 6 figures a night then you should be able to cater to needs and desires. A remote location doesn't mean much these days. Just another excuse as others have illustrated in this thread.