FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mattress run for Globalist - not so cheap anymore
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:52 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Well, ALL hotels are more expensive now than they were a few years ago. I am getting the extra 5 nights I need to get globalists under the promo mostly at HH Dallas North at ~71$ a night for 1 bedroom King suite. Heck, the wife wants to do after christmas shopping in Dallas, and we need our interviews for Global Entry which are available at DFW the last week of December (though, I was hoping to get it done earlier than that) so we just booked some nights late December checking out Jan 1 to get some nights banked for next year when there appears now that we have a fair shot at ending up at 60 nights.

I don't always price comparison shop anymore, but when I do, I find HP and HHs usually to be very comparable in price to the lower end brands of the Hilton and Marriott families, but on average, things are about 20% more expensive than they used to be not that long ago. But, I know that in some cases, the HP/HHs can get well-marked up on select dates and locations. I just checked the same dates I have coming up in DFW this fall, and the Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites in the DFW area are all 80-120$ a night (the Hhonors price), which in my case is more than my 70$ a night "mattress running" at the HH. (the HR North Dallas is also about 70$ a night this fall, but they are doing renovations it looks like and I didn't want to deal with that).

The price for me ($400 after taxes) is worth it, but I will also enjoy those trips I am doing extra anyways. With only about half of next year planned out and about 20-30 more nights very likely, I will already save about $200 in resort fees, and will get about $700 in real value worth of free breakfasts at full service Hyatts without clubs (assuming my explorist club awards would work otherwise). I expect all in all, I will get about 1500$ in value by the end of next year from the globalist(lite) even if I never get a lottery upgrade.

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 23, 2017 at 11:08 am