FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have I upset the BA Gods (CSM greetings)
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:26 pm
Schultzois

(before you go any further... this is somewhat tongue in cheek... so don't make too much out of it!)
Maybe the BA Gods were trying to make me realise they WERE upset with me last time I WAS greeted... but very cleverly. It was a very friendly greeting by the CSD as I was in 1F on a CE flight, before we even pushed back. She thanked me for my 10 (! - I didn't realise that) years as a Gold member, and asked if I liked the attention (!). All perfectly friendly, discreet and lovely.

Why do I say it was to point out the upset? Because it happened precisely on the renewal day (8 Aug) where I had 0 BA segments for the entire year, and some paltry 335 of the required 1500 Tier Points to renew for an 11th year. I pointed out sheepishly that although I appreciated the attention, I almost surely wouldn't be Gold for much longer, as I'd had an unusual year and had somehow gone the entire year without a BA flight.

So, now that I see it... asking if I liked the attention was a kind of a taunt. Sort of when my partner of ten years started to insinuate that I didn't appreciate all that I had, and then started making me think that perhaps somehow I wasn't showing the level of involvement that ten years of said attention merited! This would usually happen somewhere public, like a nice restaurant, and would be accompanied by passive aggressive comments about how "nice" it was, "right?" Anyway, I digress...

Back to my BA flight, there was a mention of putting a note in the iPad, but who knows what it said? I thought it could be something nice and pointing out that the year had been most irregular for me, but on the other hand, it could just have said "Where have you been all this time? Do you think you still deserve the same attention? What have you done lately?!?"

And, alas, a few days later, I saw the inevitable "Downgrade package to Silver" in my profile. It hasn't hit, yet... but in about a week, I think I can expect a cheerful but somehow vaguely churlish "Welcome to Silver!" email.

And then, if my behavioural pattern towards my ex-partner of ten years is any indication, I will start looking for the first seven longhaul F segments I can book almost immediately in order to show that I didn't MEAN anything by it... it's just a mistake! Will this make up for it? Can you forgive me???

(This message has been dramatised... but only just a little)

Last edited by Schultzois; Sep 21, 2017 at 9:35 pm