FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:44 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Last time I was at SGN (it was a couple of years ago) there was no way to transfer from international to domestic. You go outside and walk to the other building/airport/terminal. You check in, you go through security...just like any person off the street would do when flying domestic. I would still advise to just get an e-visa. Otherwise, prepare for a hassle.

Also if you try to do the Phu Quoc exemption, PLEASE report back to us with what happened.
I do not have a data point.
But I researched this question in both English and Chinese and came up with a very interesting answer from Vietnam Airlines Taiwan.

I previously suspected it will more likely on a Vietnam Airlines thru ticketed booking because they will arrange for tarmac transfer https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowTo...y-Vietnam.html .
But my case will be separate tickets if we go (redemption KA HKG-HAN, purchase separate domestic tix to Phu Quoc
If someone can confirm this is the actual procedure, it'd be greatly appreciated:

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/VietnamAirlinesTaiwan/posts/1827161747505508
(redirected from https://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum...1145858&page=2)

Xu Xiaohao: Can we enjoy [Phu Quoc, PQ] visa exemption if we transit at SGN and not enter Vietnam [at SGN]?

VN Taiwan: As PQ is a special economic zone, transiting at HAN/SGN will enjoy visa exemption from December 2015. Conditions are you must have confirmed onward tickets to PQ and your stay cannot exceed 30 days. On disembarking [at HAN/SGN], please proceed to immigration and display your [PQ] ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] boarding pass, and immigration will admit you. Please be reminded to keep all boarding passes as immigration will inspect all previous boarding passes before permitting your exit from Vietnam.

Storn Hung: Do we need to present OLCI BP for PQ sector to claim visa exemption?

Xu Xiaohao: No, VN means present the TW-HAN/SGN BP to Vietnam immigration.

VN Taiwan: Since all flights from Taiwan enter at HAN/SGN, you need your subsequent PQ e-ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] to enter Vietnam, claim baggage [and clear customs...], then check in at domestic [terminal]. On arrival at PQ there is no further immigration, just claim your baggage and go. When returning back from PQ, you must present all previous three BP at HAN/SGN before being permitted to exit.

VN Taiwan: Yes Storn, you need same day onward ticket to PQ.

VN Taiwan: Xu Xiaohao you will need to enter Vietnam in HAN/SGN, because the PQ sector is domestic.

Storn Hung: Xu Xiaohao, domestic and international are in separate buildings in [HAN and SGN]!

---

VN Taiwan seems envisage pax will be admitted to Vietnam at HAN/SGN. So if what VN said is true, immigration couldn't care less if pax are holding separate tix ("you need your subsequent PQ e-ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] to enter Vietnam").

I think I'll get hell from KA if I try this though. Better check in with plenty of time (hard. HAN plane is pretty early)

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:57 am