FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA not returning Avios on cancelled award booking
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:12 pm
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BA not returning Avios on cancelled award booking

I recently cancelled an AA return domestic awards booking for 30,000 Avios at about T-30hrs and BA are refusing to return the Avios.

I received an email noting the "application for a refund" at T-30 and then at T-20 a second email saying that no Avios would be returned in line with "ticket terms and conditions". I have kept both emails.

I've called up the Silver line twice and am simply told that I cancelled within 24 hours and therefore no Avios will be returned, even though I have clear proof that this is not true. Either there is a delay on AA cancellations being registered, or possibly they were looking at UK cancellation time vs. US departure time. They didn't appear to understand the point that if I had an acknowledgement of the cancellation well before T-24 I could not have cancelled after T-24.

This seems to me to be a pretty clear cut case of BA not meeting its own terms and conditions, but because customer service is so terrible I don't know where to go from here. 30,000 is worth a few hours of my time so I can try repeatedly HUACA (I'm not sure the Indian call centre is best placed to deal with this), but if there is anything else I can try to save me some time (I've spent an hour on the phone to BA so far) then I'm all ears.