FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for stories of refusal to provide password/PIN
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:26 am
Yoshi212

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
jphripjah summed it up rather well. Especially that as US citizens we have far more protection and should use this instead of just going with the flow to appease a gov't agency.

Post 9/11 but before the Trusted Travel Programs were created and the general public were allowed to apply to be members I got hassled a lot at TSA checkpoints & CBP. Each time at CBP I was threatened with seizure of my laptop, tablet and/or phone. Having two phones was a big trigger for them which is idiotic as more people carried a work & private phone at those times. When I was still in college I had one CBP agent threatened to take my laptop and that sometimes they come back blank and he was sure I wouldn't want that to happen to a research paper I was working on. This just made me roll my eyes at him which of course didn't help things but he didn't seem to know about backups nor jump drives. Pure intimidation tactic. I now remove all fingerprint recognition for my devices when going through a border checkpoint. Last time a CBP agent wanted to take my iPad when I refused to unlock it. When he said he was taking it I told him I would need to talk to his supervisor about maintaining the integrity of chain of custody as it had information on it that another gov't agency would not be ok with anyone else seeing and would/could be considered a violation of federal law. They reverse position very quickly.

One last thought, I am about to upgrade my iPhone am shying away from the iPhone X because of the facial recognition shift. I do like the fingerprint access and know that the passcode option is still available but it's too easy for this to be abused at this day & time.