FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Guys, trying again as I didn't get an answer the first time.
Is there a 'cool off' period after canceling a card before applying for the same card again? or if 24 months passed since the bonus, I can cancel the card today and apply for the same one tomorrow (assuming under 5/24).
Well, I can't really speak to this anymore, as the last time I canceled and immediately reapplied for a similar one was several years ago. Needless to say, much has changed since then. I would wait at least until the close of one business day, just in case the closure needs that time to record. Personally, I think it would be prudent to wait a few days or a week, if all the other factors signal go.

I think many of these data points have become less relevant to many of our forum members simply because:

1) They want to keep the cards they have due to 5/24. A bird in the hand...
2) They can't reapply for duplicate cards due to 5/24 or the 24 month bonus clause or the Sapphire "family" rule. So, if the card is worth keeping, they keep it. Or go the downgrade/product change route, so they keep some type of valuable, and likely irreplaceable, Chase card in their wallet (or sock drawer).
3) They can't apply for most Chase cards, once again, due to 5/24

In short, you might have to use your best judgement about a waiting period and then give it a whirl. What card is it?