FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Truffle oil without truffles
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:04 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
I would say they are being misled. The label will often say truffle oil, not truffle-flavored oil or something more accurate.

I'm nearly 100% sure that many people buy the product thinking they're getting some amount of actual truffle essence for an affordable price rather than the typical mix of odd chemicals the product usually contains.
That's a fair point. I guess it should be like selling processed cheese that has to be called "cheese product" or "fruit drink" v "fruit juice".

Originally Posted by JBord
Your point is interesting though. If I were to get "truffle-something" in a nice restaurant, I would have an expectation that it contains actual truffles. But whether it's a Michelin restaurant or McDonald's, I think it can be false advertising. One way around it would be to list the actual product brand in the description, such as "made with Bob's Truffle Oil", so that the restaurant is being honest. Perhaps McD's does that somewhere?
I just checked the ingredients and, amazingly, black summer truffles are listed as an ingredient of the "truffle salsa" (is that the grown up version of the truffle shuffle )...

TRUFFLE MAYONNAISE: Canola Oil, Egg Yolk (Egg Yolk, Salt), Water, Mushroom & Truffle Salsa (Mushrooms, Onions, Olive, Black Summer Truffles, Starch (1414), Salt, Flavour, Pepper), Sugar, Salt, Mustard , Food Acid (260, 330), Dijon Mustard, Natural Flavour (contains Egg), Spice Extract, Antioxidant (307b), Colour (161b).
https://mcdonalds.com.au/menu/truffl...n-loaded-fries