FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:54 am
enelym1978

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by ga8riel
I've never dived but have interest in doing it. Is this recommended based on the currents there?

Also can anyone help me make sense of what it would cost? Would it be 80 for orientation PP + 360 open water per couple?

What does the "pool experience" entail?
I went there and I'm a PADI Advanced Open Water certified but the person I was with had never dived before.

If you've never dived before, you need to book the Discover Scuba Diving. Orientation Dive is more like a refresher course for those who are certified but haven't dived for more than a year.

Pool Experience: you will only do it in the main swimming pool. It's a fun way to discover breathing underwater for those who are scared of being in the open.... not that interesting according to me. The main point is to see the underwater life and some fishes

Go for the Discover Scuba Diving - Open Water Experience. You will get a crash course, demo, then a practical exercise in the main pool and then they will take you out to the house reef. My friend loved it. You won't go deep and the dive master/instructor will always be behind you to hold you if you are "sinking".
They were really nice with my friend, no complaints. I was just diving next to them.

I then went on my own and some German guests out to the rim of the atoll and that is definitely not for beginners, they wouldn't take you anyway. It was mostly drift diving with some calmer spots.

The house reef is already super nice with black tip reef sharks, tons of small fishes, cuttlefish and the local turtle.