FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which is the first class end of a train?
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:39 am
Ldnn1

Originally Posted by London_traveller
The other thing to do is look at the information screen on the platform. At many (not all) stations, particularly for longer-distance trains, this info can be displayed along the 'rolling news' bit of the screen, under the main destination info.
Unfortunately the board information is not always correct. I've noticed it say the wrong end a few times at Luton Airport Parkway for example. If using that information then best to hedge your bets a bit and position slightly towards the middle rather than at the very end, in case you need a last minute dash to the other end.

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Technically, when travelling using an Advance ticket (i.e. specified train at a specified time), you are supposed to sit in your allocated reserved seat (if there is one) - however I have never had or seen this being enforced, though I have read of a few occasions where it was (I think on Crosscountry trains).

Ultimately the worst that would happen is that you'd be asked to move to your reserved seat... but in all likelihood that won't ever actually happen!

(Note this never-enforced rule only applies to Advance tickets.)
I had no idea there was such a rule! As you suggest it can for all intents and purposes can be ignored, as you're extremely unlikely to be asked to move from an unreserved seat.