FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:15 pm
CommentatusMaximus

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by ryandelany
I'm in the same boat and just made my first trip this year since they pulled out of TPE. I ended up flying SLC - SEA - ICN - TPE and even used a GUC from SLC - ICN which was awesome as expected. Once arriving in ICN though, I largely felt no real partnership existed with CI with the only exception being the Sky Priority boarding. The A330 on ICN - TPE is horribly outdated (with a vanity mirror, 6" outdated IFE, and a slot to hold an old cell phone in the seatback) and I didn't get any acknowledgement of my status (not that I really care, it was just interesting to see others post here about it). I think the worst part though is the scheduling. I had a 4 hour layover on the way here and have a 7 hour layover on the way back. ICN is a nice enough airport, but not sure how I'll feel after being there for 7 hours later this week! The KAL Lounge is a joke, but thanks to Priority Pass from my Chase Sapphire Reserve, there are 7 other lounges you can use. I visited 3 of them on the way here and the Asiana Lounge in Terminal A is quite nice and the Sky Hub Lounge in the main terminal had some decent food.

I hope the DL/KE JV helps add additional flights with better timing and opens back up west coast routes on the A380 and allows me to use GUCs! I have to come to Taipei a few times a year usually, and it's a brutal trip at the moment (full 24 hours from door to door).

Ryan
Totally agree with you. The connections at ICN are ridiculously long and the KE lounge is a total joke, reminds me of a college dorm lounge. Asiana's lounge via Priority Pass down the hall is considered to be much better. But seriously, this is KE's home hub, you'd think they'd make a bit more effort. There's a Terminal 2 expansion at ICN, so hopefully there will be some upgrades along the way. Similarly, TPE has a Terminal 3 being built as well. OTOH, CI flying into NRT is in a completely different terminal than DL, PITA. Pro tip: skip the Bim Bim Bap Korean meal on D1, waste of a meal, IMO.

I'm also hoping DL/KE JV moves ahead to get rid of all the silly connection issues.