FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:15 pm
ryandelany

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Delta pulled out of Taiwan in May. I'm stuck connecting via CI to Narita or Incheon to catch Delta. The change is a major downgrade, even complained to Delta Corporate about it.

Paid J class and I can't even select seats on CI, no online check-in, wrong baggage limit, arrive at different terminals for connection, angled seats not flat (it's an almost 5 hour flight), food downgrade, the list goes on.

I told the corporate phone agent CI might as well not be a SkyTeam partner and she says "Pretty much like flying completely separate airlines."
I'm in the same boat and just made my first trip this year since they pulled out of TPE. I ended up flying SLC - SEA - ICN - TPE and even used a GUC from SLC - ICN which was awesome as expected. Once arriving in ICN though, I largely felt no real partnership existed with CI with the only exception being the Sky Priority boarding. The A330 on ICN - TPE is horribly outdated (with a vanity mirror, 6" outdated IFE, and a slot to hold an old cell phone in the seatback) and I didn't get any acknowledgement of my status (not that I really care, it was just interesting to see others post here about it). I think the worst part though is the scheduling. I had a 4 hour layover on the way here and have a 7 hour layover on the way back. ICN is a nice enough airport, but not sure how I'll feel after being there for 7 hours later this week! The KAL Lounge is a joke, but thanks to Priority Pass from my Chase Sapphire Reserve, there are 7 other lounges you can use. I visited 3 of them on the way here and the Asiana Lounge in Terminal A is quite nice and the Sky Hub Lounge in the main terminal had some decent food.

I hope the DL/KE JV helps add additional flights with better timing and opens back up west coast routes on the A380 and allows me to use GUCs! I have to come to Taipei a few times a year usually, and it's a brutal trip at the moment (full 24 hours from door to door).

Ryan