FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Three Nights On A Train - Into The Wild Romanian Mountains
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:06 pm
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by blueferrari
it's delightful, the sleeper train. shame we don't have it here. I've just realized Romanian scenery's quite amazing too.

thanks for sharing.
Welcome, blueferrari! That said that there are no sleeper trains in your country (Indonesia), I recently seen a few stories about Indonesian trains on www.seat61.com and it looked very comfortable and civilised!

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Beautiful photos.

Is it hard to get by if you only speak English?
Thanks VH-RMD

While I don't think travelling in Romania is that easy as it might be in the UK, Scandinavia or the Netherlands, it is not bad either.

Having visited almost every European country (and not being fluent in Romanian myself being a foreigner here!) I would rank the country somewhere in the middle when it comes to ease of visiting (when looking at in general).

When purely looking at the use of English - I think it would actually definitely be in the top half of European countries. In major urban areas (Cluj, Timisoara, Arad, Sibiu, Brasov, Bucharest, Iasi, the entire coast, Tirgu Mures etc.) you can expect most people to speak English. This counts for virtually all young people you would meet.

Outside, it really depends on. In an area like Maramures, don't expect any of the locals to speak it, although those working in hotels/pensions/restaurants mostly have very decent English skills even in such faraway areas.

It's definitely miles ahead of France, Italy and Spain when it comes to people speaking English.

For those who are lucky to speak a Latin language (especially Italian and Spanish) - you have an added bonus even as Romanian has some similarities being a Latin language as well.

While there are some other travel challenges in which the country lags behind other European countries (eg. public transport/roads - mostly the speed of travelling, and lack of tourist infrastructure in many places), a possible language barrier certainly isn't one of them!