FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:13 am
dss

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As this would be a ticket reissue they would more than likely collect the fare difference for the whole trip (priced at normal levels), and not just the segment SYD/MEL-AKL. You'd be looking at thousands of dollars, not hundreds.

I'd let this one slide, and if honoured, just take a cheapie fare down to Melbourne to connect. Connections in MEL are very simple... all terminals are adjacent to each other and takes less than one minute to walk.
Thanks, that is kind of what I figured. Just struggling with the extra leg. We're actually going from SYD to SFO so that makes 4 flights (and 3 distinct carriers/tickets) on this leg (booking a cheap WN LAX to OAK segment to complete the journey) so while i'm thrilled to have premium for the AKL->LAX leg, it comes at a huge routing cost given there are plenty of (Y) flights to take me SYD->SFO (but it's in early Jan during peak season so even those are expensive/unavailable for mileage).

I have a few additional questions so thanks in advance for the help.

There is plenty of Qantas (Avios) inventory for the SYD->MEL leg. Will Qantas let me check through (on ANZ) all the all the way from SYD to LAX?

My flight from MEL to AKL leaves at 4:05. We're a quick moving family, but with checked bags (which may or my not need to be retrieved and rechecked depending on previous answer). What time would be safe to arrive into MEL to allow enough transit time to go from a domestic Qantas flight to the ANZ flight?

We're a family of 4. It looks like row 9 is the only row left on the ANZ->LAX flight (there is a scattered middle in row 4 and row 10). Row 9 gets poor reviews due to proximity to lounge/lavs. Any thoughts on if it's worth splitting up into row 4 and 10 vs row 9?

Thanks everyone for your help!