FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you have to ask for upgrades?
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:12 pm
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IME upgrades at MR properties are highly dependent on the the property itself. At the Ren LAX I've been upgraded to Jr. Suites well over 75% of the time as a Plat. However, that property has a lot of Jr. Suites (442 rooms, 59 suites). There are a lot of FS MR properties where only a very small percentage (~2% or less) of their rooms are Suites. The Marriott LAX, has 984 rooms and 20 suites and I've never been upgraded to a suite there.

I've argued since the merger was announced that the suite upgrade policy for Plats going forward will need some tweaking to accommodate the wide variability of suite proportions at legacy MR properties.
I don't think that's any different from SPG properties...if you are only staying at Alofts and Four Points, you're not going to get many upgrades and if you spend 100% of your time at a full service property w/ a good amount of suites, of course it will be easier too.

I still maintain the language and the intent of upgrading of each program is just different...