FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:15 am
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
its not just sugar and pastries etc can be costly to make so "expensive" compared/relative to what?

practically any offering that exists has a market. price can be relative to market.

at luxury all-inclusive i appreciate afternoon tea. (normally i might only eat dinner. certainly im not going to do breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner. pretty sure the standard for these teas is that they are an "or" proposition, especially depending on time of day and what region.)

there are also properties which include afternoon tea and or breakfast for guests, sometimes guests-only, while not including anything else in terms of F&B. or club lounge / club style package rate.
When they're well-thought out, they offer a good look at a hotel's patissiere skills and how attuned they are to the local culture. The best sets will incorporate local seasonal flavors in them. This Aman one uses seasonal fruit and it changes from season to season. Park Hyatt Seoul made their afternoon tea set into a Korean based one (a definite niche in a land of traditional English based tea sets). Gochujang crabcakes. Ginseng infused roasted chicken bites.

Originally Posted by helvetic
Afternoon tea is one thing I just don't understand at all… why is it so expensive, just to get a tower of sugar when you're already full from lunch and just hours away from dinner?
Totally more than just a tower of sugar. I can see how tourists would find them a waste of time and money when they have only 3 meals a day and want to have ramen, sushi, teppanyaki, 3* Michelin, etc when in Tokyo. As MikeFromTokyo said, it's an experience for women of all nationalities who lunch. They might not stay at Aman Tokyo but they certainly want to be there and experience, even, just a fraction of the famed Aman experience.

Afternoon tea can be a meal by itself depending on who makes it. Aman's was comprehensive and filling.

Originally Posted by scented
Absolutely speechless, Aventine... this has to be one of the best Afternoon Teas in Asia, if not the world. Well done, Aman Tokyo. Very reasonable price, hope they get the service right. Any updates on new GM at Aman Tokyo?

Maybe you should forward this to MO Munich?
I think it's being taken care of by a caretaker as Marc moved on to East Asia regional vice president for Rosewood,.

MO Munich
I bet their hounds will find your scent and learn how afternoon tea Jimmy Choo shoes should truly be made!