FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boarding Area's Fall
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:23 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I think ultimately it's a bit of the Dunning-Kruger effect taking place. It takes a certain amount of expertise to develop the "many of these blogs are just marketing credit cards" mindset. A lot of people get value from people recommending these cards and don't really care about any sort of ulterior motives behind it and are happy as a clam using the points they get to take some cool trips.
Some of the P&M blogs are largely centered around promoting CC links and other services, with fewer posts that aren't based on inserting links. That's not good or bad, any more than being a car dealer or selling Avon is good or bad. Other P&M blogs have a more robust set of content where not every post is littered with a dozen CC links or

To me it's not about motives, which are ultimately irrelevant, but about the end results. Unfortunately some of those people would be getting more value by applying for better offers that are not mentioned by a blog that instead promotes an inferior affiliate link offer.

While "buyer beware" is always applicable, at the same time there's nothing wrong with calling out those types of blogs. People discuss and post reviews online regarding negative experiences or poor business practices with construction contractors, car dealers, hospitals, restaurants, etc. I don't think the blogs in question should be treated differently than any other business.

I can't speak for others, but I don't believe, and have never said, that "all blogs are bad" or anything of the sort. Many or perhaps most P&M blogs are reliable with being upfront about what offers are out there, encourage input from readers, etc. Again, it's no different than any other business - some great, some lousy, and everything in between!

Originally Posted by Raffles
Whilst credit cards in the US are handed out confetti to anyone with a pulse, irrrespective of credit background or even employment, you are going to get sites aimed at the lowest common denominator. Common sense.
I'm sorry that the UK doesn't have travel rewards CC offers as generous as in the US...but the above isn't true at all. Decent rewards cards certainly require a good credit profile. Even basic, non-rewards cards can be difficult to get with a lower score and/or any significant negative marks. Just peruse creditboards.com or the FICO forums, etc.

For example in this article with 2012 data, the overall approval rate for general CC applications was about 39%, with sub-primes at 17% to those in the prime range at 58%, and super-primes at 85%. Those rates have probably improved a bit since then but doubtful they have changed drastically to the point you're portraying. I'd guess that the rates for top rewards cards will be lower.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...roval-1267.php