FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iP8 + iWatch 3
Thread: iP8 + iWatch 3
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:12 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by wco81
I would guess the Watch connectivity is limited to just data?

So you can do iMessage and maybe FaceTime audio calls but not regular voice and SMS?

But think of the times you would need mobile connectivity when you leave the house with just the Watch but not your iPhone.

Maybe you go for a run or a hike and there are apps. to log your activity. But do those apps. need connections? I guess if you want to listen to Spotify or some other streaming service, that's what you're using the data for.

I don't own a Watch, though I may at some point. But if I wanted to go for a run and I needed connectivity, I'd just get an arm band for my iPhone or carry it in hand, rather than pay to connect my Watch.

Now, if the Watch with the connection can let you make phone calls and send SMS (as well as iMessage), then it really would be a self-contained device. In that case, Apple might as well market it to people who don't own iPhones.
I think the cellular versions of the watch can answer and place standard voice calls, at least that was my impression from reading the Apple web page. I was thinking of replacing my Android personal phone with the watch but the Android phone is with a different carrier than my iPhone so I apparently can't do that.