FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Americans fear solo travel
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:38 am
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Well, I definitely buck the trend. Though the whole point about the workaholic culture is a good one, and if you look over the long view you see people giving up more and more personal time for....what? More "stuff" that doesn't get used and more money going to the 1%.

You've also got the bad foreign-language proficiency and the "gap year" not being the done thing, especially for kids from families who can't afford that sort of thing. When few or none of your friends are doing it, it tends to drop from the radar screen and start a lifetime of not-so-challenging things like Cancun being exotic and looking for the Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville there (or some similar corporate spot).

The first trips can be intimidating...like jumping off the waterfall in that scene in "The Beach." I did my first Europe trip with two friends and first Asia trip with a tour, but slowly built up confidence after that.