FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for travel to Auckland
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:26 pm
choosethedrew

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been travelling to South Island, from the UK, twice every year for many years. I've tried all sorts of options over that time and many airlines. Now I don't get jetlag, but I've travelled with relatives who certainly do (and won't take advice!).

On a service that long you need to consider whether you'll be able to operate in the first 48 hours or not on arrival. Maybe your first 48 hours won't matter, you can plan on crashing out until your body reaches you, in which case just book the cheapest. The worst way is on the Air New Zealand service via LAX. With US immigration..... A good enough airline, but the time zones and sheer boredom of trans Pacific will not have a good impact. Nearly as bad is via Dubai/Qatar etc, in fact they can be worse if the layover in the Middle East is of poor quality. SIN is OK, so that would mean a booking via SYD or MEL, and booking onwards from there either via the Contact Centre or Travel Agent, be cautious in the second scenario.

But actually the best route, and the shortest amount of flying unless you go via NRT, is via Hong Kong, so your idea may well be the best. Now I'm a big fan of HKG, having lived there in the past, but if you take an overnight in HKG and plan on "best endeavours" sightseeing there, then you'll arrive in New Zealand in the best shape overall.

Ideally wake up a bit earlier than normal on the day of departure, take a later services from the UK to HKG, ideally an A350 from Cathay or BA's A380 - the latter is worth paying a bit extra for if you can get upper deck WT, assuming you are in economy. Then you'll be in your hotel in HKG around 4pm, so early light meal, and early to bed. Then book a next day evening service from HKG to NZ, which arrives lunch time in NZ. Spend the morning and early afternoon in Hong Kong doing the Peak and Star Ferries, being outdoors in other words in what passes for fresh air over there, to get the body to work for you. Then in NZ an early-ish night and you should be fine. Two nights in HKG is better still of course!
I'm taking my first deviation from BA in years and flying OSL - LHR - SIN - AKL on SQ in J in January. There's only a 1h50m layover in SIN so I hope we're not going to be ruined, but if we are we have 48 hours in AKL without any real plans.

On the return we're going CHC - SIN - LHR with a 9 hour layover which will enable us to chill at the fabulous Crowne Plaza Changi.