FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:32 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by lkrt
What I mean is that at some point there have been cheaper tickets available. They don't start the ticket sales with just Y tickets.
I suppose so - though it surely is possible? It really has been Y only for quite a few months - which means about 8 months before the flight date. I find it hard to believe that lots of cheap seats get snapped up so far in advance for one single random flight and not others on the same or close-by dates.

Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed. I even quoted prices from a few weeks ago. They were for 3-5th and 4-6th Nov.
Not sure what the relevance of that is? There are still many days with low fares including in the same week that I wish to travel. But the specific flight I have in mind has not budged in price.

Until now! Yesterday B class became available. And today H class as well. So the fare has dropped to a "mere" EUR309. Since it is cancellable I booked it. If they continue the pattern of releasing a lower fare bucket every day, eventually I may score a low fare.

Very interesting revenue management. The only other time I have seen anything like it was when South Africa hosted the World Cup and the airlines only released full fare seats up until a few months prior to the event - after that it returned to pretty much normal patterns though obviously with much higher loads on certain flights.