FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:34 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I was served champagne in a jam jar the other day *shakes head*

Without wishing to go overboard, a flute (with a relatively sharp bottom) is clearly the best vessel for sparkling wine if you want to preserve temperature and fizz. Tumblers and old-fashioned "coupe" glasses can take a hike (Coupes were necessary when bottled champagne had yeast sediment in it, but that hasn't been the case for about a century now.)
The debate between flutes and coupes is far more complex than that and both have their fans. You are right that flutes keep the carbonic gas better so is often preferred by those who like highly sparkling Champagne, but conversely, Champagne is first and foremost a wine, and just like any other wine, a more open glass like a coupe is much better at allowing the wine to open up and develop its aromas. For that reason, many of us prefer coupes especially if we tend to drink more complex Champagne like the more prestigious cuvees, you can count me as one of them (I am fine with flutes for basic Champagne, but then they don't tend to do it very much for me). There are further arguments for/against each of the two vessels.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:43 am