FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:37 pm
jiajun

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Problems using my Canadian ABTC (APEC) card in Hong Kong

This has happened to me twice when exiting Hong Kong through the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal using the special lane.

The customs officer looks at the back of my card where it says "Valid for entry to: " and sees that nothing is printed there. He then says "Sorry sir, this card is not valid in Hong Kong."

I try to explain to him that all ABTC cards from Canada and USA look like this because they are not valid for visa-free travel, only for using the special lane / diplomatic lane. The idiot just keeps telling me that the card is not valid in Hong Kong and I should check why there are no countries printed on the back.

This exact same situation happened to me on 2 of 3 recent visits to HK when exiting the HK-Macau Ferry Terminal. I have never had a problem using the card in the special lane when entering HK through the same ferry terminal. Also no problems entering/exiting from the airport in Hong Kong or entering and exiting China.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Canadian or USA ABTC card?

Does anyone know if Canada plans to join APEC as a full member in the future?