FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much of a pain is it to switch airlines connecting through LGW w/ bags?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:23 am
ravisurdhar

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
See if you can can book through Gatwick Connects+ - that way you'll have a protected connection which would be ideal.

Even if you don't book through them, you can still use the Gatwick Connects bag check service which saves some hassle. 4-5h shuld be plenty - easyJet offer rebooking for a reasonable £80 rescue fee too in case you don't make it. Not sure about WestJet for the return though - that's where booking the protected option would be safer if possible.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...twickconnects/
This is great, thank you!

EDIT: Looks like there aren't any cities in Canada that you can use to book with Gatwick Connects+...can you buy the service after you book with the airline directly? How much does the service usually cost?

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
An interval of 4/5 hours would be fine on a normal day.
But you run the usual risk of separate flights. What's your plan B and what's it going to cost you if the first flight is rescheduled, or seriously delayed or cancelled on the day.
Minor point on costs - you realise hold baggage is chargeable on easyJet, is that factored into your cost comparison?
Yes, thank you. I guess the plan B would be to just rebook on the next available flight. The easyjet flights are <$100 per person, so even if we have to completely cancel (without refund) the original flights and book new ones, we're still coming out (a little) ahead than booking through BA or AC. I think that's worth the risk to save >$500

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm not sure if they've improved, but there were horror stories last year and again a few months ago about WestJet's operation to LGW - many flights delayed and quite a few by many hours.
Yes, I've seen a few blog posts about this...definitely something to keep an eye on, thanks!

Last edited by ravisurdhar; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:30 am