FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calgary couple frustrated by airline response after getting caught in hurricane
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:07 pm
YYC009

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Calgary couple frustrated by airline response after getting caught in hurricane

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-co...moon-1.3582787

I don't understand why this is the airline's fault... the passengers chose to travel knowing a hurricane was on the way and somehow the airline should help them escape? Did they take the hotel concierge with them to evacuate or were they only worried about themselves?

My favourite quote:
"We were already on a flight going home and they’re sending relief planes at like two, three p.m. on the day before the hurricane’s going to hit, which to me is just not good,” said Aulakh.

Hmm... so she is upset that the relief flights came a day before the hurricane hit. When would have been a more convenient time for her? And when would a more convenient time have been for everyone else?

I actually think what Air Canada and other airlines did was admirable. It takes lots of effort to organize 24 extra flights (and the upgauging of other flights). I also heard that the empty planes that headed south went with cargo like bottled water and other aid. I doubt the airlines made a lot of money and I suspect these hurricanes will likely have a small financial hit on the carriers for Q3.

Again, sounds like the air carriers did everything they could given the circumstances, the passengers arrived home safe, but again, a news story that the airline was wrong? I am surprised there isn't a news story about the other 7,000 passengers that were thankful for the airlines efforts. Hmm...