FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for stories of refusal to provide password/PIN
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:54 pm
JakiChan

Originally Posted by WillCAD
However, since you're taking only an iPhone and iPad Pro, no laptop, it seems more like you're traveling on leisure and want to keep your personal data secure.
This is true. And there are many things I could do. Not take any data with me, etc. But then I could also just not go on a vacation, right? Why make it suck more?

Again, I'm not concerned about the security of the data on the device, even in the hands of the government. I know enough about the platforms that I use to know that I'm likely not worth the effort of a brute force attack. If iOS 11 is out before I fly then I'll likely have a "cop mode" option, otherwise I just reboot the devices before I get off the plane. Boom, no touch ID and I won't divulge a PIN. They wanna bruit force it then sure, but guess what, unlikely.

I was more looking the experiences of people who were even asked for a PIN, and what happened when they said no. If the CBP steals my device (and it's theft) fine - I suspect my iPhone 8 will already be on order. Might even be waiting for me at home.

I see all this "wipe your device" advice, and while I know a lot of the folks who suggest it (friends at the EFF) I also know it's mostly unreasonable, like the "master cleanse". I've secured my data, I'm just more wondering how likely I am to lose my device.