FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza {US-NY}
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:04 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had a short one night stay last week, 2 days after it went under Hilton management. As I wasn't there long I will only make a few pointers here, but suffice to say I would be very happy to stay here again.

Not to be confused with the "Millennium Hilton New York Downtown", near the World Trade Center, which has its own incorrectly titled thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ton-us-ny.html
Both hotels belong to the same owner, this thread is for the one by the United Nations building and entered into the Hilton brand at the end of August 2017.

Overview: Despite appearances, it's not a big hotel, it has a lobby, restaurant and bar on the ground floor, rooms from 29th floor through to 40th floor inclusive, and the Executive Lounge on the 30th floor. Check-in and out was reasonably fast, staff friendly and welcoming through out

Location: It was handy for my purposes but it is not brilliant for the subway, it's a good 12 - 15 minute walk from Grand Central or 53/Lexington. The latter is on the E line from Jamaica, so it's reasonably convenient for both JFK and LGA. It is right in front of the UN building, there is a reasonable residential area around the hotel, so shops and restaurants close by. Obviously the whole area is crawling with police for the UN building so for anyone a bit nervous about going to New York (which is actually a safe city now) this aspect may allay any concerns.

[Note, this is a homemade plan, it may not be accurate!]

Rooms: The unique USP is that every room has either a fantastic view or an amazing one! There isn't currently a floor plan on the App or Hilton.com, here is my stab at one, based on the 40th floor (top floor). But you can't really go wrong here, there is something to look at. In my case it was of lower East River towards Brooklyn Bridge, but I could see down to Battery Park and New Jersey. Other rooms either look northwards towards Roosevelt Island, or mid town.

My room was clean, a reasonable size though not generous, with a first rate and spacious bathroom. I selected this at the last moment via the App, no upgrade offered, sought or desired. The A/C was very noisy, and there was a slight hum from some machinery on the roof, but the weather was fairly mild while I was there so it wasn't an issue. The room carpet was slightly frayed and the room seems to have been renovated a year or two back, but overall I was happy with the room and its great view.

Executive Lounge: Open 06:30 to 20:00 hrs. Drinks and hot snacks from 17:30 hrs to 20:00 hrs - cheese, sushi, vegetable rolls territory.

Breakfast: As a Diamond I get a "continental breakfast" for free in Hiltons and here I was unexpectedly impressed! A good range of items to choose from including cereals, fresh and cut fruit, toast, bagels, Danish, viennoiseries, plus two items: scrambled eggs and frittata. The staff refreshed the items rapidly too. Coffee and tea is self serve. This is all in the Executive lounge, there is no arrangement in the restaurant for Diamonds, but I certainly wasn't bothered by that.