FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Headed to London for the first time in 25 years
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:30 am
EJetter

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Exactly what is the disadvantage of having an Oyster card in hand when arrive in London? Not having to track down where to buy it? Not having to deal with unfamiliar currency, which some visitors might not have to hand? Not having one more stressor that could be avoided? Not having to stand in an extra line?

OP of this thread says she hasn't been to London for 25 years, which means there is going to be a lot that is unfamiliar to her. No matter how much you travel, when dealing with the unfamiliar, there are often unexpected complications - the machine won't take your credit card, you misread the screen and ordered the wrong thing, half the machines are broken, etc.

The point of getting an Oyster card in hand before you arrive is to minimize last second problems and maximize time spent on the leisure attractions/activities that drew you to London in the first place.
(and I seriously doubt a visitor can find a sales point and purchase an Oyster card at Heathrow in 2 minutes).
It's practically impossible to buy the wrong thing with the Tube ticket machines, there are lots of them, they are easy to use and reliable and take cards.
At Heathrow it would be very hard to miss the machines.

Like I said, for most people the Visitor card is the wrong option. If you know you're going to be in a huge hurry and can't spare 5 minutes, or are prone to failing at simple tasks then it could be the right option. Of course it's still possible to order the wrong product (for example ordering a card with only £10 credit when during peak times the gates at Gatwick won't let you through unless you have at least £14 on the card), or face other problems such as the card going missing in the post. I'd rather spend 5 minutes getting my Oyster card on arrival and then spend money saved on shipping and the cost of the card itself on a couple of amazing local beers!

I have travelled to many cities in Europe and the US and obtained whatever travel tickets or passes I needed within minutes and without trouble so I see no reason why London would be any different