FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:42 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
1/3 of the Y cabin gets a middle seat and the bulk of those are not MCE. So "caged animal" is a bit tough.

What people should look at if paying for their own tickets is that they are wholly inflexible, e.g. can't be changed. Thus, if not flown as booked, they have $0 value. Even if you are 100% sure that you want to take a trip, circumstances arise.

For businesses, this same inflexibility makes the tickets a poor deal.
Whether it is a poor deal depends on costs to change and likelihood of changing. For example for a r/t ORD-DFW, can get a fare of $238 in basic economy or $258 in economy

If pretty certain about outbound trips, given that the oneway fare from DFW-ORD can be $211 , it seems kind of pointless to pay $200 change fee plus $20 extra on the fare when a replacement ticket could be $211

Even at higher fares, if a company is making changes to 20% of tickets, it may be better to take the hit rather than pay the change fees

Originally Posted by btatting
And for me to look at a one-way RE flight yesterday for $206, wake up the next day and BE is $206 and RE is $221, who do they think they are fooling? I sent off a complaint to AA and got a mostly boiler plate response about the cheaper price for BE for no-frills customers, responded saying I know that is not true since I am a semi-frills customer and like my regular prices and monitor the prices weekly, and they replied that they welcome the feedback.

Hope they re-consider, but know they won't.
What is the basis of the complaint? that the airline has increased fares? the company is entitled to raise fares - you can still get a flight for the same price though , but with more restrictions. At $206 for a ticket, would paying a $200 change fee be that good value? if wanting the same "frills" then can get it after the 7% fare increase