FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will you be able to deplane if you divert to your destination airport?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:12 am
dmurphynj

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
I've looked around a bit online, and found a few threads on this topics. It seems to me that the general consensus was a no in almost any scenario. The main reason I found was that since airlines are only designated to fly the planned route, they therefore can't let passengers use a diversion city as their final destination. Seems silly to me.

-The Flying Guy
I wouldn't say that ...

I had a flight ATL-EWR a few months ago that diverted to PHL. The captain came on and told us we were going to take on fuel and hope to get off the ground quickly as they were approaching timeout.

At that point I, and two of my coworkers, decided it was time for us to go get a rental car and drive home from Philly. While we were discussing it, another woman seated right behind us asked if we would mind if she tagged along. Absolutely, no problem at all.

We picked up a car at Avis (they gave me a beautiful Mercedes) and made it back to EWR before the plane did. Dropped her off with her friend, dropped off the rental car, AirTrain'd it back to the Terminal C garage and was home within a half hour of that.

So yes -- there are times and places where they do allow you to exit at the diversion point.