FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will you be able to deplane if you divert to your destination airport?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:22 am
t325

Will you be able to deplane if you divert to your destination airport?

I happened to notice that UAL582 YYZ-ORD diverted to STL yesterday, presumably due to storms. It spent 2 hours on the ground, then took off to ORD.

I live in STL, and fly to YYZ several times a year for work, usually connecting in ORD if I can't get the nonstop AC flight. I have probably been on 582 before. It got me thinking, I could very well be on a YYZ-ORD flight that diverts to STL one day. Or a flight from anywhere to ORD that diverts to STL due to their proximity to each other. So, if you end up diverting to your destination airport, do they let you deplane if you have no checked bags and don't have to clear customs? Or if I were on 582 last night, would I have had to fly back to ORD and then get back to STL on a later flight since I would have likely missed my connection? Obviously checked bags or customs would complicate things, I wouldn't expect them to dig your bag out of the cargo hold or drop you off at international arrivals.

Appreciate any insight on this, it's just a curiosity I had, and I'm guessing in reality it probably happens all the time, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one person on 582 yesterday who was going to STL.