FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much should airline passengers "self-police" rules that other passengers break?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:46 am
gingerlucy

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
How much should airline passengers 'self-enforce' various rules of boarding, etiquette, etc., when airline staff does not, cannot or will not?

For example:

I was in first class on a recent flight: group 1 for boarding. A bunch of FC passengers lined up at the boarding lane, and one lady then marched over and stood to the side at the front of the line. When boarding began, another FC passenger, very politely, let her go first. When she got to the gate agent, she handed the gate agent a boarding pass for another flight, which held all of us up. After some back-and-forth, the gate agent let a few of us board while she searched for the right boarding pass. So after I boarded, she got on the plane...and walked back to coach. Clearly she broke in line.

Another time, I saw a guy in the airline lounge washroom go from a stall straight to the main part of the lounge, without washing his hands. He went straight for the food, and served himself using his hands--not the large spoons or tongs that are there. I later saw him again in the washroom, exiting a stall (while talking on the phone), and he scurried straight for the exit, again without washing his hands.

At what point does a regular passenger call those people out on their behavior?

Thanks.
Are you sure the second guy wasn't in a stall that had a sink in it? I'm always worried when I come out of one of those that someone will see me and think I didn't wash my hands...

But as for any food put out buffet-style, unfortunately there are gross people everywhere and you have to accept there's a risk it'll be touched by the unsanitary. Plenty of horrifying research out there on what microbes and traces are present at buffets and salad bars. Just try not to think about it. Or don't eat it.