FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Steak in Rome!?!
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:27 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
There was steak when I went - admittedly, January was the last time I passed through Rome. I'd heard someone say the butcher stall was going to change hands, so maybe it's gone away? It was Roberto Liberati in the past (who has great shop further out of the city center, but that is strictly a butcher shop/food market and they don't cook there), but the website now lists it as Savigni, the same folks who run the one in Florence.

The Romans I know eat steak, they just tend not to eat steak out, so it's a lot easier to get the name of a good butcher than it is to recommend a good restaurant for steak. I know that's entirely unhelpful to OP.
True, steak exists in Rome, but it's rarely on the menu. In fact, most places where I've seen it are in places that advertise themselves as an, "American Style Pub," with Budweiser, french fries, etc. Flying all the way to Rome to eat American bar food, I don't get, when there is Roman food. I know that some of the Michelin star places have steak on the menu.

I still hold with my original advice. There are a number of Argentinian restaurants in Rome, like the one I mentioned upthread, Baires. There is also La Pampa, El Gaucho, and a few others. I don't see the point of going to Rome, the city with some of the best food in the world, and eating in an Argentinian restaurant, but if OP wants steak, his options are limited. The most likely place to find it is in a USA style pub in Rome, with a bar and Skye TV turned onto an American channel. There is even a restaurant in Rome with a Texas theme called, "The Wild Wild West" or something like that. It isn't Roman, but it serves steak.

If he doesn't want to eat Roman (not Italian, Roman) food, and doesn't want to go Argentinian, or to a pub, then he should try a Florentine restaurant in Rome, like the ones mentioned above.

There are a few Roman restaurants, like Maxela that have Steak Florentine on the menu, and even hamburger, and its classier than a USA style pub.