FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:32 am
Rare

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I did a search before posting and the last 3 on your list are dated. IMO the first 2 searches are not discussing all the headphones in this over ear noise cancelling category. I definitely need one that is both wired and wireless.
Dated? Hmm. All of those refer to current models except for the QC25, and even that one is still for sale. (And some people buy older models because they prefer them or because the difference isn't worth the extra cost to them.) Just because a discussion is more than a few months old doesn't mean it's not useful! In particular, I found gooselee's review and the resulting discussion to be helpful.

Having said that, I see that there is a successor to the MDR-1000X coming out in a couple weeks, so it might be worth waiting for that.

It is true, there don't seem to be many discussions comparing all of the headphones in the category. When I was shopping, I had to make do with threads like those and other online reviews.

I think you'll find a lot of people here like the QC35, and the other two major contenders are the PXC-550 and MDR-1000X. Like I said, I went with the latter and have been very pleased with it.

I just confirmed that the MDR-1000X will work wired, with or without being turned on, and it comes with a cable. (By confirmed, I mean I tried it, not just looked at a spec sheet.) I also discovered that the audio jack is recessed into the headphone slightly and the hole is thin, so not all cables will fit. This is much like the jack on the original iPhone, so it should be easy enough to find a replacement cable should that be necessary, but it's something to be aware of.

Last edited by Rare; Sep 3, 2017 at 11:38 am Reason: add link to WH-1000XM2