FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rented car has been damaged, no call from insurance company
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:07 am
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You were not really clear whether you are a non-US resident who rented a car in the US or a US resident who rented a car outside the US, but I am going to assume though it's the former since you referred you "exchange rate between my home currency and USD". I will answer from this perspective.

It sounds like you paid for CDW (which covers the car) and LIS (which covers damage or injury to other people/property). This is an assumption on my part, so it's best to confirm from your rental contract that this was actually the case.

Assuming this is correct, the CDW covers any damage 100%. CDW stands for Collision Damage Waiver. It is a waiver of your responsibility for any damage you may do to the car (assuming you are acting in a responsible manner). It is not insurance. As such, there is no deductible.

Unlike some rentals outside the US (especially Europe), there is no concept of "excess" here. Once you accept CDW it covers any/all damage to the vehicle. It tends to be fairly expensive here in the US, but you are completely absolved of any damage claims if you pay for it.

I'm not sure where you got the $500 figure from? Maybe this was a deposit that they took on your card at the outset of the rental, and it has since been

In terms of LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement), it would cover damage or injuries to others. In this case, I don't think that the relatives of the animal you hit are going to sue you for wrongful death, so you're probably fine, but even if there was a claim, you'd be insured up to $1M USD.

In short, you should not owe anything since you paid for the CDW. Return home and rest easy.