FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A day and a half in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:37 pm
Kevin Adams

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Where to Stay
If you have the points then stay at the JW Marriott. The location is perfect. It's at Pacific Place which is connected to a MTR station and bus stations.

Transport to/from the airport.
I personally take the MTR from the airport. I think it's easy and a fun expereince.
Basically, you take Airport Express from the Airport to Hong Kong station. Hong Kong station is connected to Central station. It's a short walk, maybe 10 minutes. Don't worry, it is inside and air conditioned. I recommend the walk to HK first timers because it shows off the MTR system, how large it is and how interconnected it is with the the city. When you get to Central station then you jump on the Red or Blue line and the next stop will be Admiralty. The Admiralty station is directly connected to Pacific Place which is where the JW Marriott is. Follow the signs to Pacific Place. Once you are in Pacific Place, follow the signs for the JW. If you don't see signs, just ask someone - people are very friendly. If they don't know the JW, then ask where Peking Garden is.

Hmm, that may sound more confusing than it is. It's really not bad at all.

You can also take the bus - A11.
Or a cab.
Or the JW will be happy to arrange a car to pick you up.
But, I do prefer the MTR unless you are too exhausted from the flight.

Things to Do
Absolutely take the Star Ferry.
As The _Banking_Scot said, try to do it twice, once during the day and once at night. Be one of the first passengers to board. You want to make sure you get a seat on the side of the boat so you can get a good view. If you aren't one of the first to board, just wait until the next ferry.
If you had more time I would recommend a total of 4 trips on the ferry - one in each direction during day a night.

My favorite view of HK is from Ozone, which is a bar on the 118th floor of the Ritz Carlton in the International Commerce Centre (ICC). The ICC is on the Kowloon side, not the Island side, so you get a beautiful view of the Island. I'm not sure if this will be possible for you since your daughter is 13. Maybe you could get in during the day for tea? If not, try Aqua. It's not as high up but still has a good view of the island.

Another good view is the rooftop park area on top of the IFC mall (which is on the Island side). You can sit there and look out over the harbor.

Victoria Peak. If it's a clear day, go immediately because clear skies are rare.

Skip Disney Land and Ocean Park. They are okay, but you don't have much time in HK. And I'm guessing that you have already gone to Disney Land since you are from Orange County. If you had a week or more then maybe go.

Eat at some good Dim Sum place.
Eat at a HK fast food place (such as Café de Coral or Fairwood)
Eat at a Cha chaan teng (such as Tsui Wah)

Spend time walking around the city and exploring. Walk around the island side. Central, Soho and Wan Chai. Take the ferry over to the Kowloon side and walk around Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), walk up Nathan Road towards Jordan Road. The park will be on your left if you want to take a break and enjoy some nature.

Other
Those are my standard recommendations. Beyond that, it really depends on what you and your daughter are interested in. There is such a wide range of things to do in HK it's hard to make specific recommendations without knowing some more about what you like to do. There is everything from food, to temples, to exploring the urban cityscapes, to hiking in the mountains, to nerdy transportation adventure, to beaches, to markets, etc. I can try to elaborate more if there are specific interests you have.