FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is AA Domestic First Class worth it?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:55 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Spring is still very far away. It is likely there will be more different fares (in economy) showing up later. Which means the price difference between First and Economy can become bigger. Also there can be schedule change, and even aircraft change between now and Spring.

I looked up and the fare OP is talking about, it is QVAHZBI1 shown as I fare and booked into first class as instant upgrade. This is non-refundable fare and technically economy ticket booked into first when there is availability in first on time of booking. In case of irregular operation like cancellation of a flight, AA has no obligation to get you first class seat and if you end up flying in economy then there will be no refund.

I wish AA make it little more clear about the nature of this fare during the booking. There is nothing during booking to indicate so, simply indicate First Class. Once look into fare rule and on fine print at very end of fare rule mention the condition of instant upgrade. Looks like true First Class fare on this route can be as high as $1820 round trip.