FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:21 pm
The Situation

Originally Posted by alpinecow
I've had AA call the cops on me twice, once when I argued with a GA who failed to follow policy on giving standby's seats on the flight after a mech cancellation, and again when I argued with a check-in agent who took >45 minutes to check my family and I in, and we missed the cutoff as a result. Both times, the officer rolled his eyes, listened, asked me to move my bags 5 feet, and then walked away.

AA threw me a $300 voucher for each incident, but the email noted voucher was for the standby and check-in mess-ups, not for calling the cops. Small sample size, but seems AA corporate tolerates and maybe even condones using the police to adjudicate customer service disputes.

If you have had the cops called on you twice, me thinks you might want to change your tactics on how resolve issues. IME, being nice and talking to and empathizing with them, rather than arguing with people and hoping that the person on the other end can empathize with someone being confrontational will get you a lot better results a lot quicker. Perhaps its why when I was delayed a few weeks ago and would have missed my connection, I got a good seats (one of which was really good) on an alternative routing while everyone else was going to be stuck in SLC overnight.