FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:57 am
spamkiller

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the AA CoC promise that hotels will be provided for mechanical/maintenance delays, report the failure to DOT. Airlines cvan't just lie about the cause for delays/cancellations to avoid their obligations. If you had kept the rebooked flight, you could demand reimbursement for your hotel costs.
I am not a lawyer, but did reasonably well in my contracts class. One of the forms of damages could be "Compensatory damages" which damages”) cover the loss the non-breaching party incurred as a result of the breach of contract.
I believe a hotel room would be included in that. Defendant may argue that under the COC, their only obligation is only to attempt to get you to your destination, but the extent of their efforts would be another issue. If there was a mechanical issue that then turned into an ATC issue, then I would argue that it is a mechanical issue, just as their blaming weather in the morning for a cancelled flight in the evening. But for the mechanical issue, there would be no ATC issue.